Sunday 12 May 2013

An Elephant Never Forgets (Pinnawala)

On Saturday we visited the Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage. We decided quite spur of the moment and only booked our trip with a day trip service the night before. We used PL Tours and Travels and our driver and guide was very helpful and friendly. We were massively fortunate to be able to organise it and I wouldn't try doing that in High season! 

The drive to and from the elephant orphanage was really interesting. We passed paddy fields, water buffalo, a mongoose, pineapple plantations, rubber plantations, cocoa plantations - loads of things. It was quite a way to see some of the country. We crossed the Kandy train-line quite a few times and I'm excited about that trip too! 

As I'd heard incredibly mixed reviews about the Elephant Orphanage, I was a little apprehensive. It started out as a conservation project; but from what I understand there is no expectation that any of these elephants will be allowed 'back into the wild' - in fact, a good number of the elephants were apparently born here. However, there were two calves who had recently been rescued from irrigation ditches and one elephant there with a missing front foot due to a landmine so maybe some good is being done for these animals who would be in a worse condition otherwise.

Positives: 
  • Lots of elephants, as close as I'd be comfortable with! 
  • Feeding a full-grown elephant fruit (that they allow you too- plenty of people outside try to sell you fruit - don't buy it!) 
  • Bottle-feeding a baby elephant (an extra 250 rupees) 
  • Watching the elephants play in the river 
Negatives: 
  • You might see the elephants who are not staying with the rest of the herd get the occasional smack from one of the 'keepers' 
  • The 'unsociable' elephants are chained up - we decided it was pretty much a psychiatric ward for elephants... 
Anyway, without further ado, here are the pictures along with: 


Lessons from the elephants on things we should never forget!

1) Never Forget to show affection. 

Whether that means a finger up the nose, a goodbye kiss or a welcoming hug; we all need love from the people around us. The elephants at Pinnawala are constantly touching each other, nudging each other and generally physically expressing affection. They seem to take great delight in sticking their trunks in each others' mouths. While that might not be everyone's cup-of-hot-chocolate; the truth remains that physical touch is a powerful way of conveying support, comfort, sympathy, encouragement, happiness and love.


2) Never Forget to appreciate the people you lean on.
 This elephant was obviously getting tired of holding its own trunk and used the opportunity to find a good friend to rest it on. I loved the way that the loaded-down friend accepted this and allowed herself to be a leaning-post for as long as her friend needed it. We all need somebody to lean on when we're not strong - at least, that's what the song says. I'm grateful for the times when I've been the leaner and a friend has patiently allowed it. I'm also grateful for times when I've been able to be that support. 

3) Never Forget to hold your temper. 

 When I look at this picture, all I can think is how squashed I would have been if that elephant had decided to smash it's trunk down with all the force it could muster. I was a speck to this Giant Lady. Yet, in her strength, she didn't squish me. We should never use our strength or force to take stresses out on others. This is a lesson I really would like to learn when I get grumpy!

4) Never Forget the simple pleasures.
 Bath time is the real fun bit of the day for these 70-80 elephants at Pinnawela. Good company, a bottomless drink and an escape from the heat of the day and these creatures are happy as can be.

5) Never Forget who you are. 
Other people could have easily mistaken these elephants for rocks as they basked in the deeper parts of the river; it seems to me that often in life there is similar room for someone to try and work us out and come up with an answer that doesn't resemble who we are at all. Sometimes we even do that to ourselves. Maybe we don't think it's going to be acceptable to other people to be "the elephant in the room"- or maybe we get sick of our own look, thoughts or habits. It might be easier to just be a rock; hidden and safe. Celebrating who we are is vital to our progress to be the best elephant we can be. 

6) Never Forget that Mother knows best.  
It seems fitting on (American) Mother's Day to remind myself of this fact! The baby elephants cling to their mother for guidance and direction. As this was Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage, the ones who had mothers there to cling to were probably much more fortunate than the mother itself. As you grow up you come to realise that your parents are not the indestructible super-heroes you thought they were; sometimes that makes you love them even more. I was happy to see this baby who was enjoying the safety of super-hero Mom. I'm grateful for my Mother; even if she doesn't ALWAYS know best.

7) Never Forget to take time to walk and talk.
I loved these two elephants walking side-by-side, apparently deep in conversation. I love to talk. And talk. And talk. Fortunately, I married a man who is quite the conversationalist himself. Granted, we don't often having deep, world-changing or meaningful discussions; but it's great to talk. 

8) Never Forget to make room for one more. 
 This reminds me of my childhood home. Lots of us already piling in to everything - but always room for one more. This is the kind of home I envisage for Ben & I in the future. It also makes me think of the group of Young Women at church who are among my favourite people in the world- not because they're elephants, but because they are my ultimate example of including others. They never forget to make room.

9) Never Forget to hold your head high. 
It's easy to feel lost sometimes - but you aren't ever lost! Look up and give a smile and the world just seems to smile right back at you. And if it doesn't, smile some more!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!