Friday 15 August 2014

Doctor & Mr McKee


There have been many weird things about my first full week as a junior doctor and you'll be surprised to hear that most of the strangeness has not come from the patients. 

Hearing nurses referring to me as "doctor" is odd. I pause whenever they say it and look around for someone who looks like they know what they are doing. Then I realise it's just me. 

Please don't take my joking too seriously. I know what I'm doing around 90% of the time. Want to know what it really is like? Read this book. Or you could just watch that Junior Doctor program. 

I promised my best friend that I would blog about my initial doctoring experiences. But there are a few things holding me back.

1) Most doctoring is about patients, and I can't write very much about them. You might know one of them - it might be your Granny or your Aunt or something. The experiences that cause me some moments of dark humour might not be so funny if it was. That's something I always try to remember. The things I get wrong or right affect real people that are really loved by other real people. 

2) It's just a job. I know, I know. It's a job that is well-respected, very important and the source of some great television. But, like other jobs, there are mundane bits. Quite frankly, you don't want to hear about someone's day at work. I have the same struggles with bosses, frustrations and the odd moment of triumph. 

So, briefly: 
It's going as well as can be expected after one week. 
I'm suddenly actually good at cannulas. (There's something magic about being able to introduce yourself as the doctor rather than the medical student).  
Night-shifts make me want to scream. 

Let's talk about something pleasant. 

For example, Ben. 

Now, I haven't actually seen my husband in a while. I miss him! The problem with working night shifts is that my routine has been this: 

  • 18:30  - Wake Up
  • 19:15 - Greet Ben as he walks through the door with a ribbon in my hair (not literally) and dinner all ready
  • 19:40 - Leave the house for work, having scarfed down dinner. 
  • 09:30 - Return home from work and read
  • 11:00 - Fall asleep 
Lather, rinse repeat. 

However, last weekend we managed to go up to the temple to celebrate our anniversary. This weekend we're busy with a practically-family wedding! 

In true Doctor & Mr McKee style, here's a whole bunch of pictures so I don't have to write anymore. 
Can you tell I'm cranky from sleep deprivation??? 









No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!